dimanche 9 mai 2010

Input and daily plans going forward

I'm going to move away from the TY and Spoken World and back towards the input-only Assimil and Linguaphone methods. There just isn't enough content in the TY and I actively dislike the content of Spoken World Dutch.

My plan for the next month or so, then, is more immersion and not worry too much about the details. This is going to be hard for me. I know I've written about this before, but I have a serious case of cognitive dissonance between how I actually learn languages (Assimil, dialogs, and shadowing) and how I *think* I should learn them. My brain wants to believe that, based on previous experience with all the technical subjects I studied at school, if just given enough details I can _learn_ the material. And that's why I keep returning to wanting to study grammar and vocab lists. Every time I start doing mostly input, I end up thinking that it would be easier to do active vocab and grammar study.

I find it hard to just let the language "flow over me." With so much of my life spent looking at details (math proofs and computer programs), it's hard to step back. At work (and at school previously) missing details meant you failed the course or your program crashed. Basically, the two worst things in those environments. It the shift between "look at the trees" and "ignore the trees, see the forest".

So, my plan. For the next month, I'm going to do one Assimil per day, as instructed. I'm going to try to read and/or listen to extra non-Assimil content for at least 30 minutes. I'm going to do my anki reps (sentence based). And, in order to satisfy my active-studying grammar-loving self, I'm going to try to do 2-3 Lang8 posts per week. All of these are being tracked on Joe's Goals to keep me honest.

So, recent accomplishments. I listened to a 45 minute Dutch radio play with a transcript that I was able to get the gist of. I had two short Dutch conversations on Sharedtalk, albeit with much help from Google Translate. (Incredible! The Dutch room wasn't empty!) I read "Het Geheim van de Eenhorn" (The Secret of the Unicorn) without looking up too too many words.

The flash cards are actually going well. I'm importing 50 sentences a day from one of my sentence packs, and trying to add sentences from "King Ottokar's Scepter". It's been almost a week and I'm not hating them. So far so good. Once I've finished the Tintin, I'm going to add the thousand or so sentences from the exercises in Assimil (not the dialogs.) After that, dunno.

More news as events happen.

1 commentaire:

tricours a dit...

"I have a serious case of cognitive dissonance between how I actually learn languages (Assimil, dialogs, and shadowing) and how I *think* I should learn them"

This sounds familiar! I always think I should do more grammar, but I never... really feel like doing any. Plus I think I should relax more when it comes to comprehension ;)