mardi 16 juin 2009

TAC update for Mid-May -> Mid-June

Another month, another update.

The notes for this one have been sitting on my TODO list for a while, slowly growing. I figured I should just get them out.

I've stopped listening to my podcasts, but that's mostly a software issue and I've been too busy to sit down and find a new one.

My French class is turning out to be hard. Well, it's probably less hard than I'm making it, but that doesn't make it any less hard _for_me_. I think my desire to be "perfect" is still really stretching out the time for the some of the assignments. On the other hand, I think I'm a lot more comfortable speaking French. Still a bit nervous when I have to do it in front of the group, though. I have another group presentation on Thursday, so we'll see how that goes.

I discovered I _really_ don't care about the biz-speak stuff. That's probably one of the most disappointing things for me. I want to do well, I want to be interested in the material, but it's just not something that interests me.

There was an AJATT post a couple weeks ago on keeping learning fun. The quote was "If I were fluent in Japanese, and I didn’t have to do anything for ‘learning’ or ’study’ reasons, would I be watching this right now?" And for "Japanese" = "French" and "watching" = "taking this course", the answer is an unequivocal "no". So, damn.

It's actually interesting how many things I've tried to do to study French, but gave up on because they didn't hold my interest: flash cards, LR DaVinci Code / Harry Potter, chapter studies for DaVinci Code / Harry Potter, FSI French, DLI French, and now this course. It's actually astounding how much time I spend doing stuff I don't enjoy in the pursuit of stupid, self-made goals. Oh well, we all have stuff to improve, I guess.

The fact I'm not enjoying this course also means I probably won't be doing the other courses in this program. The other oral communication course I can't imagine will be any better, and the language/grammar course materials I can just cover on my own (and, in fact, I have been...) I think part of me feels I'm just chickening out and giving up .. But on the other hand, I don't _need_ this certificate and this one course only seems to be taking up all my time and making me unhappy.. Kind of stupid to keep doing it.

On the other hand, I started reading "Le Hasard Sauvage", which I was really enjoying. Unfortunately, this stupid course (and work, but that's another matter) is sucking up all my free time I couldn't get past chapter 2. I will absolutely go back and finish reading this once my summer clears up in a couple of weeks when my course is done.

I tried to replace a number of blogs I read with French equivalents. Unfortunately, most of my top-priority blogs have no direct replacements, so I'm still reading them for now...

Also, when my course is over, I'll probably head out to a nearby part and juggle, hopefully with some francophones. I think the one thing I'm really scared of, w/r/t speaking French in a non-classroom environment, is that I won't be corrected and my errors will just fossilize. I think that's one of the reasons I don't want to speak until I'm perfect. However, the "perfect" is the enemy of the "good enough". My fear of sucking is really standing in the way of me getting on with my life...

Also at the same time my course started, I more or less gave up on sharedtalk for finding partners. Which is good. I'm also not wasting time there any more, which probably makes me more happy.

I also finally changed my language level for French in my HTLAL profile from 'Intermediate' to 'Basic Fluency'. That was probably long overdue. So, my posts will now say I "speak French", which still sounds odd to me.

Aucun commentaire: