mercredi 6 mai 2009

TAC Log - May 5th : French Oral Communication Techniques

Today was the first class of my French Oral Communication at the university here. It seems to be parimarly a course on oral communcation techniques _in_general_, with the fact that its in French almost an after thought.

We went around the class and had to briefly introduce ourselves, where we were from, what we did, and what we hoped to get out of the course. I was trying not to be nervous, but _man_ could I feel my heart pounding in my chest as it came to be my turn.

The first day had another placement test (hard!) that I feel I did poorly on.. The other part of the placement test was to record a snippet of our conversation for about a minute answer a question. I suppose I'll find out tomorrow if I'm going to be moved down or not. I'm not the weakest in the class, but I'm certainly not the strongest. My accent is probably better than most, but I think more people are more comfortable speaking (something I'm sorely lacking in..)

I spent a good chunk of the class thinking "What have I gotten myself into...?"

The course looks like it's going to cover some interesting topics: debates, negotiation, business presentations...

I feel a bit out of place. Everybody else seems to be there for business reasons: they need French for work, or want to expand into working with French clients. For the little questionaire handout, for the question: "Where do you speak French most:", I had to answer "Restaurants, Bakery, and Sharedtalk.com", which kind of made me feel stupid. Sort of like I don't have a a good enough reason to be there..

Overall, I think I'm going to be happy with the course, if I can get past my nervousness and the "I-don't-belong-here" feeling. I think I'm still feeling like I'm faking a bit and that for whatever reason I've managed to convince people my French is better than is really is..

I'll give another update after my next class, Thursday, by which point I will probably have been moved if I'm going to be..

Aucun commentaire: