lundi 9 février 2009

TAC Log for Feb 5-8

Ok, so it's been a while. The big task I'm happy about was having finally gotten through the entire stack of 2400 vocab items I imported into anki. So, I guess now that I've reviewed them all I can let anki schedule them for me so I can learn them. My basic ranking strategy was:

  • "easy" to sentences I could produce myself.
  • "good" to ones I could probably have said
  • "hard" to ones I could recognize but not use
  • "soon" to ones I didn't understand.


I still haven't gone through the course books these items came from, and I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to. They're just more supplemental material for the same words, but I think if I get the sentences down that should be sufficient. (The sentences themselves have lots of context, so I think they're actually really good by themselves.)

So, the games night thing on Friday kind of failed. It was mostly kids, and the parents either ditched them there or weren't playing. I stuck around for a bit, and then returned home to sulk, having had my fantastic plan of game playing + French language usage dashed. I watched Episode 4 of "Les Invincibles" instead. I think I might go pick up the DVDs of the first two seasons.

I bought Antidote, which is a French grammar checker. I used it tonight on my lang-8 post (another 60m or so plus some procrastination when I wasn't writing.) It caught 20 (mostly stupid) errors. For some reason, I'm still writing "je fait", which makes me feel dumb. My other conjugations are correct, as long I remember to look at the subject... I.e, I _know_ what it should be, but just wasn't careful. It seems to be when the subject is further away from the verb that I get sloppy. ("blah blah et les livres de cuisine vous propose..") Then, the standard gender/adjective agreement errors. It seems. I'm getting better. I just need to make sure I don't use Antidote as a crutch. I used to run all my posts through bonpatron.com, so this just makes it easier (and I believe catches more errors.) I'm going to have to pay attention to the kinds of mistakes I make, and then be more careful to not _keep_ making them.

I've had a couple of twinges recently to start studying Esperanto, but I think it was just because I was "stuck" in my French (esp. the flash cards) and wanted to do something else. I hope now that I'm into reviewing the flash cards (rather than this oppressive list of 2400 that had to be processed) I'll feel a bit more motivated to go forward.

I really need to get back into the habit of listening to my podcasts. My passive immersion has really been going down. I'm still reading my daily news in French via Google News, but not "carefully". I tried to make it easier to make notes, but clearly not easy enough since I'm not doing it. I'm going to try keep Google Notebook open, since that should make grabbing snippets of text for later easier.

Forcing myself to do lang-8 posts twice a week seems to be working. Next up, a schedule for the chapter studies I guess.

Aucun commentaire: