mardi 30 décembre 2008

TAC Log for Dec 28/29

Read "De l'autre côté du miroir". Have one chapter left to do vocab for for Wonderland.

I don't particularly like the translation of Jabberwocky by André Bay (Le Berdouilleux). I much prefer Le Jaseroque by Frank L. Warrin. (This is the translation that appears in both "Godel, Escher, Bach" and "The Annotated Alice".) Perhaps Bay was working under different translation restrictions because he had to also produce Humpty Dumpty's explanation of the words later on... For me, though, because I know the original, the one thing that really stands out for me is the meter -- or lack thereof -- of Bay's version.

I also don't particularly like Bay's translation. One thing that really bugs me is inconsistencies. Bay can't seem to decide whether the characters are speaking English or French.

Aucun commentaire: