vendredi 5 décembre 2008

Pre-TAC Log for Dec 4

Lots of input today. I listened to the news, "Premiere à la Carte", some podcasts, read the free french daily newspaper, and read a chapter of Arsène Lupin.

I have to decide what I'm going to do with the vocab from the newspaper, because while I feel the input is good for my passive comprehension, I really need to review it a couple times to get it to the active side. One of the problems of passive/assimilation based methods is that it's not always clear when you've learned something. You can't just tick off a box and say "Yup, I know that now." Your active knowledge just magically appears when you go to say something, and it's _then_ you realize "Oh, I guess I must have known that."

Barry Farber talks about mastering a single issue of a newspaper, but I don't think that would work for me. However, I think I will switch to reading the stories outloud -- that should probably help a bit with retention.

My plan for the weekend is to go over the weeks reading (well, the book, not the newspapers) and extract vocab into a word list. I think I like the idea of the Assimil-every-7-day review of the content. I think I'll probably analyse todays newspaper over the weekend. That's a bit of a compromise between Farbers approach and where my personal French is at. (As in, I'll be interested to see exactly how much I pull out of the newspaper. Farber's approach really is for when you're just starting.)

Aucun commentaire: