mardi 25 novembre 2008

Statement of Goals

Well, I suppose this is it. A statement of my goals for the TAC 2009.

I will improve my French considerably, from B1+ to C1. I will become confident in a wide range of situations and improve my active vocabulary.

I have a French vocabulary course called "Par Example" that I will be following. It teaches 2500 non-English cognates (120 lessons x 20 words). I will complete this course.

Similarly to increase my fluency, I will go through _at_least_ the FSI and DLI French course review lessons (FSI 6,12,18,24, and DLI 5,10,15,...,80). If that doesn't drive me nuts and I felt it actually helped me, I will probably go back and force myself to do both entire courses (minus the review lessons again). We'll see, no guarantee on that one.

I will work through the "Ultimate French Advanced" book and dialogs by shadowing. I _might_ scriptorium "New French with Ease" to work on my writing.

Now, my real goal is fluency which must come with real life practice. There's only so much I can learn from books. I haven't been following my own advice on this one and I feel kind of stupid.. My goals for 2009 are to have more real conversations in French. I will do this two ways: first, language exchanges over Skype, and second I will sign up for at least one real course for something I'm interested in that happens to be in French.

Similarly, to improve my written French, I will post regularly on Lang-8.

Now, just to make sure this doesn't drive me insane, I'll obviously need a break. That break will be Esperanto. This will probably be very minimal in the first 6 months but pick up later on. I will go through Assimil's Esperanto course and "Jen Nia Mondo", at least. I'll need to figure out exactly what I'm going to do for Esperanto, but since this will probably take place in the second half of the year, I can do some passive studying when I need a break from French, and then really start producing stuff in July.

Wow, now that I've written it all out, it certainly seems like a lot. I just hope I can fit it all in with my Real Life.

1 commentaire:

paphos-sk a dit...

Er, I still don't know what TAC is.
And your goals are awesomely ambitious.
And all for your "spare" time, huh?